Did you know that the ball and socket joints in your jaw, known as temporomandibular joints, are often the root cause for a variety of pain symptoms throughout the head and lower neck? Your jaw plays such an essential role in your mouth, that the complex mechanism can have consequences seen all over the upper half of the body should it become damaged. Damage to the joints is often called a temporomandibular disorder or TMD for short. Spotting the symptoms is the first key in diagnosing the problem:
– Do you have any joint pain when your jaw is moving?
– Do you have any muscle stiffness or pain around your head?
– Do you get headaches?
– Is there any popping or clicking sounds when you open your jaw?
– Does your jaw ever lock up?
– Do you suffer from arthritis, jaw dislocation or injury, tooth and jaw misalignment issues, stress, anxiety, or bruxism?
If you have any of these symptoms, you may suffer from TMD. Treatment is available. Our team at Dearborn West Dental can help you deal with pains associated with TMD. Listed below are some common treatment options for temporomandibular disorder:
– You can follow exercises that are specifically designed to strengthen your jaw muscles.
– Some medications, such as muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory medications can help with TMD.
– Bruxism treatments for grinding your teeth can be minimized with bite plates or night guards.
– Avoid extreme movements to your jaw, including deep yawns and chewing gum.
If you think you suffer from TMD, you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Robert Farber by calling us at 313-562-5610, and speak with a member of our team. Our office is located in Dearborn, Michigan. We look forward to fixing your smile!