What is a crown?
A crown is a dental restoration that may be used for a variety of restorative and cosmetic purposes. Perhaps the most common use for a crown is to restore a tooth that has suffered from extensive decay or damage and cannot be effectively repaired with a filling. The dental crown entirely covers the damaged tooth, starting at the gums, to restore the tooth’s structure, size, and shape. Crowns are custom designed and fabricated to match your natural teeth and blend in beautifully with your smile. If you would like a natural-looking restoration, our dentists may recommend a porcelain crown that can be matched to your natural tooth color.
Do I need a crown?
Drs. Farber and Farber may suggest a crown for your smile in order to:
- Cover a dental implant
- Strengthen a weak or fractured tooth
- Support a large filling when little original tooth structure is left
- Protect a tooth after root canal therapy
- Enhance the appearance of a tooth that is severely stained or darkened
- Repair a severely decayed or damaged tooth
- Improve the appearance and functionality of a misshapen tooth
If you believe a dental crown in Dearborn, Michigan, may be the solution your smile needs, we invite you to call or visit us today at Dearborn West Dental. We look forward to restoring your smile!